Some common signs that may suggest your parent could benefit from assisted living can include:
- Needing reminders to take medication.
- Noticeable weight loss or gain
- Loss of mobility or increase in falls.
- Signs of neglecting household maintenance
- No longer able to perform daily tasks, such as grooming or preparing meals.
- Increased isolation
- Loss of interest in hobbies
Many elder care communities offer specialized neighborhoods for residents with dementia. Signs that your parent might need memory care include:
- Exhibiting aggressive behaviors
- Becoming disoriented or getting lost
- Repeating stories or questions
- Problems speaking or struggling to find the right words.
- Difficulty planning, concentrating or organizing.
- An Alzheimer’s/dementia diagnosis or cognitive decline that requires 24-hour supervision.